Historic Preservation is underway at the Lyons Turning Mill on Quarry Hills Drive as it efforts to establish a museum to show the history of quarrying and stonecutting and its relationship to the industrialization of this industry as it relates to the history of Quincy. Built in 1894, the mill used giant lathes to turn granite and other kinds of stone into columns, spheres, and works of art. The Quincy Quarry Railroad, which was built at the same time, ran through its center and a 20-ton overhead crane inside the mill could handle the manufactured stone products that were made there. Visitors are welcome to tour the grounds of the mill and encouraged to view the virtual museum.
Open the 1st weekend of each month thru November. Saturday & Sunday 11AM – 3PM
Please call 617-472-1322 for special tour requests, check our website for special presentations at www.quincyquarrymuseum.org