The entrance is marked with a large slate headstone with an incised anchor and inscription: Here rest retired mariners who in their later years made their home at the Sailors Snug Harbor which from 1856-1950 was situated southerly from here one third of a mile. It is fitting the cemetery faces the sea that these … Read more
One of only five remaining grist mills in the United States, historic preservation work is currently underway. Built in 1806 on the bank of the Town River, the mill represents the birth of Quincys maritime and granite industries. Quincy granite shipped from here was used in notable sites including the Boston Custom House, Bunker Hill … Read more
With over 400 flags, Quincys newest tribute to Old Glory has become our citys most patriotic site. This visually impressive field of flags honors those who served our country. Site and services held for Memorial Day and Veterans Day are coordinated by the Sons of American Legion Morrisette Post 294.
Besides its picturesque beauty, this West Quincy cemetery is singularly significant for its association with Solomon Willard, the Father of the Granite Industry and noted architect of the Bunker Hill Monument and Quincy City Hall. The land and funds to create the cemetery were donated by a wealthy Adams Street bachelor, James Hall. Solomon Willard … Read more
The son of Massachusetts governor and one of the principal founders of Connecticut, John Winthrop, Jr. operated the first iron smelting furnace in the British colonies, one of the earliest industrial ventures in America (1645). You can view the excavated remains of the furnace, read about its history, and see artists renderings of the furnace … Read more
This country estate overlooking Quincy Bay transports visitors to the Revolutionary War era and tells the story of a womans work to preserve her familys history more than a hundred years later. Revolutionary leader Josiah Quincy built the house in 1770. Quincy and his family played key roles in the social and political life of … Read more
One of Americas earliest garden cemeteries, the first two plots were ceremoniously purchased on May 5, 1856 by Charles Francis Adams, Sr. A two and one half mile long stone wall, erected for the perimeter in 1934-35 by the Works Progress Administration, is dedicated to the memory of Thomas Morton who in 1625 led the … Read more
Thomas Morton, the first English person to build a plantation, known as Mar-e-Mount, on Massachusetts Bay in 1624, operated a successful trading post. On May Day, 1627, he erected a Maypole. The site is commemorated on the Citys Seal. Shown with a large tree on it, a historical marker notes the location, and its remains … Read more