The entrance is marked with a large slate headstone with an incised anchor and inscription: “Here rest retired mariners who in their later years made their home at the Sailor’s Snug Harbor which from 1856-1950 was situated southerly from here one third of a mile.” It is fitting the cemetery faces the sea that these men had served so well. The stones are all simply shaped white marble with the merchant mariner’s name and age; no birth or death dates are stated.
One of only five remaining tide mills in the United States, historic preservation work is currently underway. Built in 1806 on the bank of the Town River, the mill represents the birth of Quincy’s maritime and granite industries. Quincy granite shipped from here was used in notable sites including the Boston Custom House, Bunker Hill Monument and Kings Chapel. The brig Souther, built as a gold rush ship, was built here and shipbuilding continued through the late 19th century.
With over 400 flags, Quincy’s newest tribute to Old Glory has become our city’s most patriotic site. This visually impressive field of flags honors those who served our country. Site and services held for Memorial Day and Veterans Day are coordinated by the Sons of American Legion Morrisette Post 294.
This historic site in the Blue Hills Reservation is an impressive remnant of the nation’s first commercial railroad (1826), which used horse-drawn cars to carry the massive granite blocks from the Quincy Quarries for building the Bunker Hill Monument to water transport on the Neponset River.
The Thomas Crane Public Library inspires curiosity, sparks imagination, fosters community, and connects people to the online world.
- « Previous